background

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 4

I did not mention in my post about Bloomfield that in our hurried packing I forgot to pack one of Finnean's most prized possessions, his pacifier.  I realized this with great fear about 8:15 when I went up to put him to bed on Sunday night.  Panic and fear came over me and I thought...he is never going to go to sleep AND I am the worst mom ever...I forgot his favorite, most soothing thing.  Okay-so what do you do?  Do you go buy a new one?  Do you just pray that he doesn't cry?  Michael held strong and said "we said that we are not buying any more."  So we didn't.  In his saddest voice ever, Finnean continuously asked for his paci.  So Michael took his turn laying with him and then I took mine.  After almost two hours, he finally fell asleep AND  he slept through the night with no fuss about the paci at all.  The next day when it came to nap time he asked for it a couple of times and then cried that he wanted to sleep in the crib, so I put him in there and he was asleep just like that!  I thought, okay-we are going to make it AND the paci is going to be gone.  We stopped at Walgreens on the way home and got him a Buzz Lightyear action figure (cousin Carter has one and he thinks it is SO cool!) and when we got home we put Buzz on his pillow and took the paci before he could see it.  We made a huge deal out of how Buzz was big and strong, just like Finnean.  He thought it was absolutely awesome.   He asked for his paci a couple times but no tears.  He fell asleep, no problem, granted it was way past his bedtime.  So the true test came on Monday (Day 3).  Michael said that he gave him quite a bit of beef at naptime and really wanted his paci and even told him "I not strong like Buzz Lightyear!"  So sad, he cried and cried last night before bed and did the same today.  So we are hoping that he soon forgets how awesome his paci was because we are not the "cry-it-out" kind of parents, it is basically like torturing us when he cries and cries like he has the past two nights.  Send your "no more paci prayers" our way!  We will let you know when we are "happily" paci free!

No comments: