background

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A few random bullet points...

  • Today we went to Kohl's to find something for a fund raiser that Finnean and I are doing (so excited and details soon!) and it was kind of raining.  He ran in to get a cart to push and TOTALLY wiped out on the hard floor, not the carpet but the tile.  He was screaming at the top of his lungs and obviously hurt.  It was like in a movie, you know how the actors feet fly up in the air and he bonks it...that is what happened to F.  I ran over to him and tried calming him down.  After I finally got him to stop crying, I looked up and saw FOUR associates standing at the cash registers right by where we were and not ONE of them came over to see if he was okay.  They didn't ask me if he was fine, didn't holler over from their post to see if he was okay...they just stood there all talking to each other.  Am I wrong to be upset about this?  Come on people!  A kid totally whacked his head in your store and you can't even ask if he is okay...obviously, I am still working on letting this go.  It just doesn't seem very customer service friendly! 

  • Have you ever made a decision and then about half way through you thought "what in the hell am I thinking?!"  That was me today.  We decided to run errands and we HAD to get groceries.  No fruit or milk left, so that meant that we had to go, even if it was rainy and cold.  Anyway...after the errands we headed to the grocery store and about 10 minutes in I realized it was 12:20.  The boys were hungry and getting grumpier by the minute (we usually eat at noon)and we had a huge list of things to get.  A few weeks ago I was introduced into the word: hangry.  You know when you are so hungry you start to get angry.  That is what was wrong with us.  We were all hangry.  I seriously considered just leaving our cart in the middle of the store, getting jimmy johns and then coming back to finish up our groceries.  Instead we powered through and after I was super annoyed with the checker for putting 3 times the amount of stuff in one bag that should have been there, we got out.  Whew.  We made it.  Hutchinson fussed for most of the time but we made it.  Did I mention I bribed them with suckers?  That helped for a little bit.  So we get to the car and the darn gas light was on.  Seriously.  That thing is on all. the. time.  How!?  Anyway, we got our gas and headed home for a very late and very needed lunch.  Thankfully we made it without much trouble and I had to remind myself to be grateful that we have money to fill up our refrigerator with good food .  I also reminded myself to never got to the grocery store at lunchtime again and don't be hangry. ever.

  • I just read a snippet that a little old lady said about parenting "say yes to everything you can when they are little, as long as it is safe."  This got me thinking.  Do I have to say yes to playing hide and seek every time? Or to playing house?  Or Legos?  The list goes on and on and sometimes I am just tired.  I have played and explored and ran errands all day.  Do I just need to suck it up and keep playing or is it okay to say no?  I said no tonight and all I could think about was that little old lady saying they are only little once...and I am missing an opportunity to be a good mom?  To show them how much I love them?  Man, there is a crazy amount of pressure to be a good mom.  It is my job.  My job is to be a mom.  It is my dream job but it comes with some pressure.  You want to be good at your job, right?  Being able to be home with the boys is what I have always wanted, always, BUT it is hard!  If they are screwed up...it is because of me!  They spent their young years with me.  I feel like I have to provide them with healthy food, activities to stimulate their little minds, teach them to be kind and respectful and all of the other things you need to teach a little person to help them prepare to be an 'normal' adult while maintaining a house and being a good wife and friend.  So after all of these thoughts, I am just trying to give myself some grace.  Trying to remember that I am THEE BEST mom for Finnean and Hutchinson.  That I am doing okay as a mom and the best part is I am not doing this on my own.  Thanks to my amazing husband and our family and friends, I do not have to have all this pressure on me, even though sometimes I feel like it is all of my responsibility.  They can help me screw them up too :)  This rambling reminds me of one of my all time favorite ecards...
My next favorite one and one that made me completely laugh out loud when I read it for the first time...
 
Now to wrap up this post of randomness, I leave you with one of favorite songs at our house right now.  I need to get Hutchinson dancing to this on video...asap.  And, we are currently obsessed with waffles right now.  You know, the store bought kind, not home made kind with whole wheat flour and such.  Yes, the unhealthy ones.  Yes...my good mom meter is going down every morning when they eat waffles :)
 Do you like waffles!?   http://youtu.be/UtlaTNI1TaU

1 comment:

Erin said...

Haha. :) I love this post because you said a lot of things that I find myself thinking. Yes you can say no, I think.

My rule is that the mom has to have enough patience and sanity to get through the day to deal with the kiddos in a nice and respectful (as possible!) way... and if that means saying no to certain things that create too big of messes or that create too big of headache, or even sometimes things that just take up too much energy... then that's what you have to do! At least... that's what I keep telling myself. ... It is so so so much pressure to be a good mom and to be part of their fun! (Which feels never ending sometimes. How the heck do they go-go-go all day long!? I wish I had some of their energy!)

I love your blog, friend!